Summer Camp Bethesda MD
Summer Camp Bethesda MD
If you’re considering summer camp in Bethesda, MD, for your child, you may wonder if it is the right fit for your child’s personality. You may feel worried that they will feel out of place at camp if they have special interests or have never truly spent that much time away from you before.
While each child is a unique individual, we strongly believe that summer camp is beneficial for all children. No matter what your child’s interests are, camps develop important social, emotional, and cognitive skills that your child will take with them for the rest of their lives. Another great benefit is that they can create memories that will last a lifetime at camp.
Benefits of Summer Camp
Many adults can look back fondly on the days of summer camp and remember the thrill of sitting by the fire with friends for the first time or a carefree afternoon spent swimming under the summer sun. But it may leave you wondering what the real benefits actually are. We’ve compiled a list dedicated to the benefits of summer camp.
Develop Lifelong Skills
During summer camp, your child will participate in a variety of group activities where they will need to learn how to work on a team, communicate with others, and solve problems on their own. Your child could develop leadership skills as they may be assigned to guide a team of other children on the hike or other activities. A child can also develop stronger communication skills as they face many challenges and overcome obstacles while trying new and exciting activities at camp.
At camp, your child can experience the chance to have some form of independence. This independent time is important in helping children develop a sense of identity, as they’ll be able to explore their interests and discover their strengths and weaknesses. They can learn to trust her and her voice is so depending on you as a parent to tell them what to do. Camp is a great way to transition to independence as they explore the world in a new and exciting way.
One of the greatest benefits that come from summer camp is that no matter what your child’s interests are, they will be engaged in team activities that require them to learn teamwork. Knowing how to work on a team is a useful skill that they can carry out throughout their entire life. Teamwork matters because it helps develop communication skills, emotional intelligence, and leadership skills. An understanding of teamwork can help your child realize that working with others is sometimes the most efficient way to get things done. This will allow them to foster the idea that sometimes working as a team is better than handling tasks all on their own.
In this world of social media and phone applications, we may find that our child doesn’t get enough screen-free time. When was the last time your child went an entire day without looking at a phone, computer, tablet, or other techy gadget? WIth the busy and technologically advanced society we live in, it’s no wonder that children may not get time away from screens as often as they should. With camp, they can see how great of a time they can have even if it doesn’t involve a screen. If your child seems apprehensive about this, don’t worry, they’ll likely forget about their phone as soon as they start having fun!
One of the best things about summer camp Bethesda MD parents trust is that spending time outdoors and staying active means your kid will come back home more healthy than they were before they left. Camp kids can partake in various activities, such as flag football, basketball, baseball, and field hockey. They can get their body moving and without stigma, since it’s all for the fun of the game. Signing your kid up for camp is a way to not only boost their mental health and other skills, but help with their overall physical wellness too!
Kids can always use more friends in their life and at camp specifically, there tends to be plenty of socializing. The friends made at our Bethesda summer camp tend to be made for many years to come, or even for a lifetime! Similarly, parents can take this spare time away to hang out with their partner, friends, or family. With kids away and parents focusing on themselves, everyone can come back together as a family happier and more connected.
Time For Play
During the school year, children are so used to schedules. The routine of going to school, doing homework, and then repeating it all over again each day can get monotonous. While our Bethesda camp summer program has a structure too, there is focus on freedom for play. Kids need to explore their imagination, and play is a great way to do that. They also learn to engage with the natural world around them. Playtime allows kids to express themselves and have creative thoughts, making them happier too!
It is an essential skill in life to be resilient, which means that someone can push forward after a setback. Camp offers a chance for kids to face smaller difficulties and then overcome them. For instance, they may not win their first basketball game, but it will make them a better player next time. Camp teaches children the value of effort and helps them believe in themselves and their fellow camp comrades. Kids who believe in themselves are more apt to meet challenges with determination and optimism. But even if their hopes don’t happen, they can practice trying again!
Preparing Your Child For Summer Camp
Summer camp can be great for everyone involved. Your children might think they are simply getting to spend more time with friends doing something they love. While this is true, it also helps them earn independence, work on their fine and gross motor skills, and learn how to be team players. When you and your children are excited about summer camp, there are a few things that you can do to help ensure they have a smooth transition and are completely prepared for what lies ahead.
- Set their expectations. Children often thrive off of a schedule and being prepared ahead of time. Make sure in the weeks leading up to summer camp you have set their expectations. Talk with us about what kind of activities your child can expect while they are here. How often will you be in contact with your child? What important rules are there? Do they have medication they need to take routinely?
- Get their medical check-up. It can be helpful to know that your child is doing well physically before they head off to camp. Schedule their annual physicals if it has been a while, and make sure they are feeling well before heading off.
- Understand their medical needs. It is important to talk with a camp supervisor about the medical policy and to discuss any medical needs your child has. What kinds of food allergies do they have and how severe? Do they have medications they should take or other special health needs? When everyone is on board and knows how to handle a health situation or emergency, everyone can have peace of mind knowing that their kids are having fun and being safe.
- Conduct a quick check-in with your child. Before dropping your child off and in the days leading up to camp, it is important that you check in with your kid about how they are feeling. Some kids can’t wait to head off to camp, play sports, and make friends. Others have never been away from home and know that even if it is only day camp they will be homesick. Whatever situation your family is in, be aware of what your child needs and provide them with that support system.
- Get ready for drop-off. The drop-off can be just as hard for both kids and parents. Whether it is your first time or you are a seasoned camp parent, dropping your kid off at summer camp can be difficult for everyone involved. Try not to linger too long knowing that your child is in safe hands and will have a great time.
Get Ready For a Summer of Fun!
We take great pride in what we have to offer families and know that kids thrive when they are challenged. Summer sports camp is a great way for families to grow as their children learn independence and important life skills. If you are interested in any of our camp options or have any questions, please reach out to our office now. We are happy to talk with you.
When it comes to summer camp in Bethesda, MD, we here at Koa Sports know it can be a daunting task to find the right fit, and that is why, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us today!